Chiranjeevi and Ram Charan starrer Acharya (2022), which released on 29 April, has proved to be a box office debacle. Expectations were riding really high on the film. However, contrary to expectations and the hype surrounding it, the action film starring the father-son duo has failed to impress viewers and resulted in losses for distributors, who are struggling to recover their money.
Recently, a letter reportedly written by a distributor named Rajgopal Bajaj from Raichur (of Hyderabad/Nizam Karnataka region) who lost heavily on Acharya went viral on social media. In the letter, the distributor says that he bought the rights of Acharya but has suffered huge losses owing to its abysmal performance at the ticket window.
“We have recovered only 25% of our capital investment and the remaining 75% is wiped out as losses. I wholeheartedly request you (Chiranjeevi) to please consider my request to extend compensation to the distributors who are deep in crisis because of this movie. I am into huge debts now,” the man wrote.
While the authenticity of the letter remains unverified, one thing is clear that Acharya's lukewarm reception at the box office has been a bane for the exhibitors, who are hardest-hit by the whole fiasco. It will be really interesting to see if Chiranjeevi provides any relief to the distraught distributors.